Medical Records Requests
How do I request a copy of my health information (includes medical records, bills, and X-ray films)?
You can request a copy of your health information by completing a Request and Authorization Form (PDF) and submitting it to the University of Chicago organization that maintains your health information.
You can submit this form to the appropriate UC organization by mail or in person. A complete list of UC organization addresses and phone numbers is included within the instructions for completing the request and authorization form (PDF).
Who is authorized to sign for release of my health information?
The following people are authorized to sign for release of your health information:
- The patient (Not the spouse)
- Power of attorney if the patient is unable to sign (Legal document must be provided.)
- Parent (if the patient is younger than age 18)
- Parent and minor if the patient is 12 to 17 years of age and receiving psychiatric, alcohol, or drug treatment services
- Legal guardian (Proof of guardianship document must be provided.)
- Representative of the estate for deceased patients (Copy of the death certificate and a copy of the representative of estate documents must be provided.)
When will I receive a copy of the medical record?
Copies are processed within 15 to 30 days from the date the request is received by a UC organization. Recipients will be notified if the request cannot be processed within that time frame.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
If you have any questions, please contact the UC organization responsible for maintaining your records. A complete list of organization addresses and phone numbers is included in the instructions for completing the request and authorization form.